My escape to Pai
I knew topping my elephant experience would be difficult in the weeks to come, and after spending a week in Chiang Mai area hanging out with Rose, going to markets and learning to cook, I decided something was pulling me to the West.
Rose and I started our journey by hopping on a bus bound for Pai from the Arcade bus station in east Chiang Mai.
The bus was clearly designed for the small Asian frame as I could not sit with my long European legs at a 45 degree angle. For a greater part of the twisty journey I sat with them up at my chin level.

We arrived in Pai with the afternoon sun on our backs and decided to look for a spot to download our packs and sit slurping on a delicious fruit shake for the last hours of the day. We walked through the small town inquiring at local guesthouses about room prices. As we walked along the rhythmic rasta tunes of Bob Marley seemed to float on the smokey air that fills the north this slash and burn time of year, drifting out of local artsy shops.
Rose had a friend who had stayed at these bungalows across the Pai river and who recommended them as a neat spot to stay. We walked over a bamboo bridge, where it split midway in a 'Y' going to various huts for rent. We chose a place to the right of the split called Baan River Huts, as they were in the right price range (cheap) and had a good air about them.


We stashed our gear and headed out for food and drinks.
We stayed in Pai for a total of 3 days but had lots of fun in that simple time.
After an amazing sleep the first night, with courus frogs lulling us into dream land, we rented bikes day two and visited a Lisu Village by bike.
Cycling in the afternoon was quite hot so we stopped at a little shop for a drink before entering the village vicinity. The walls were made of Mud and straw which is very rare to find anymore, now that more modern options are available.
Along the road I took a few photos of the crop fields as I just liked the way the colours sat.


Also, within the town itself we came upon a bad spirit deterrent to bless the crops with good luck and prosperity during the season.



Photo of Rose being trailed by lisu school children
I watched some of the local ladies making some sort of reed device from bamboo, and another women sewing their local designs into a hat. Lisu use small pieces of fabric to make intricate bags, hats, clothing, using simple geometric shapes and lines.


A Lisu lady with her son.
Rose and I started our journey by hopping on a bus bound for Pai from the Arcade bus station in east Chiang Mai.
The bus was clearly designed for the small Asian frame as I could not sit with my long European legs at a 45 degree angle. For a greater part of the twisty journey I sat with them up at my chin level.

We arrived in Pai with the afternoon sun on our backs and decided to look for a spot to download our packs and sit slurping on a delicious fruit shake for the last hours of the day. We walked through the small town inquiring at local guesthouses about room prices. As we walked along the rhythmic rasta tunes of Bob Marley seemed to float on the smokey air that fills the north this slash and burn time of year, drifting out of local artsy shops.
Rose had a friend who had stayed at these bungalows across the Pai river and who recommended them as a neat spot to stay. We walked over a bamboo bridge, where it split midway in a 'Y' going to various huts for rent. We chose a place to the right of the split called Baan River Huts, as they were in the right price range (cheap) and had a good air about them.


We stashed our gear and headed out for food and drinks.
We stayed in Pai for a total of 3 days but had lots of fun in that simple time.
After an amazing sleep the first night, with courus frogs lulling us into dream land, we rented bikes day two and visited a Lisu Village by bike.
Cycling in the afternoon was quite hot so we stopped at a little shop for a drink before entering the village vicinity. The walls were made of Mud and straw which is very rare to find anymore, now that more modern options are available.

Along the road I took a few photos of the crop fields as I just liked the way the colours sat.


Also, within the town itself we came upon a bad spirit deterrent to bless the crops with good luck and prosperity during the season.



Photo of Rose being trailed by lisu school children
I watched some of the local ladies making some sort of reed device from bamboo, and another women sewing their local designs into a hat. Lisu use small pieces of fabric to make intricate bags, hats, clothing, using simple geometric shapes and lines.


A Lisu lady with her son.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home