Friday, October 26, 2007

Wallaman Falls - Grade 5 camp


A week after returning to Australia from Papua New Guinea, David and I went onto the last kids outdoor camp of the year. This time it was to Wallaman Falls which is just outside of Ingham and up into the mountains. The camp lasted 4 days and 3 nights and included a hike to the base of the falls (Australias longest unobstructed waterfall), a hike up Mt Fox and Liloing down the stoney creek river way. While Liloing, I got to see a couple water dragons sunning themselves in the late afternoon sun rays....



A Lilo is a sturdy blow-up mat that you take in the water to play on... but are a great fun on camp and an easy way to cross rivers or float down rapids....

















The kids had a blast swimming in the small rapids though and many played with algae, built dams or scaled the rapids all swim time...















It was a lot of fun and I was the rapids tester for the liloing to make sure the water was safe for the kiddies to go down. It was really fun!! And even more so because I didn't scrape my legs on any rocks doing it this time......but it was wet and rocky so I have no photos of myself going down...and I was a spotter within the rapids, so couldn't get any photos of the kids doing it either...next time!














Wallman falls area is teeming with wildlife; I saw several red legged Pademelons, the cutest long nosed bandicoots ever, several apperances from a shedding Lace Monitor, Many types of rat, and of course the inevitable Cane Toad made their presence well known. On the way back from Mt Fox we got to see wild Emu's...who are extremely curious creatures and couldn't help themselves from investigating us in the fourbee (Four wheel drive vehicle). We also had some close encounters with a cute Kookaburra, who loved to watch over the kids playing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home