Day 3 in Cambodia
After I had a cold shower (hot water costs 2 dollars more) and headed out to get something to eat and book my flight to Banlung in the northern province of Ratanakiri. I booked it for the cheapest price of 100 US and headed towards the internet cafe. After emailing, I decided to go view the Tuol Sleng Museum of Genecide. I walked there with tuk tuk drivers harassing me the whole way. One man was quite enduring, following me along and slowing traffic, for 6 blocks..... "my family is sick, my mother she is blind, I have 4, no, 12 children to feed" With which I reply 'te awkohn (no thank you), I walk' . By the end of the 6th block we were both laughing and he gave up, but gosh are they ever relentless sometimes.
I was torn whether to go an 'support' the Genecide Museum because I thought it sort of seemed like death and tragedy becomes a sideshow, but then I decided I would go if to do nothing else than to honour.
I thought it important to see such a place, if nothing else but to gaze into the eyes the faces of those, who were so innocent but none the less torchured and lost their lives. I want to recognize their existance and to honour their memory by spending the time to understand what went on here.
I was torn whether to go an 'support' the Genecide Museum because I thought it sort of seemed like death and tragedy becomes a sideshow, but then I decided I would go if to do nothing else than to honour.
I thought it important to see such a place, if nothing else but to gaze into the eyes the faces of those, who were so innocent but none the less torchured and lost their lives. I want to recognize their existance and to honour their memory by spending the time to understand what went on here.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home