a very long journey
The next day Rose I discussed the possibility of walking to another village near to Cave Lodge, but mostly opted for the great chance that a truck would pick us up and take us at least part of the way via a dirt track road. We also wanted to view some caves along the way.
Hhmmmm nice clean plan, of course, it never works out the way you plan it.
The day started off much the same as the last. Breakfast, packed sandwiches, water jug each. We headed off once again, following the basic map, but this time we were following a road way so it was much harder to lose your bering. We walked along talking of the last day or other things that slipped and out of our minds. As we came to the area the first cave was to be at, we searched high and low for it along the huge rock formations, but couldn't find it and time was ticking so we opted just to continue along the road until someone could pick us up.

Around 3 hours in, I was getting worried that I hadn't seen one truck going our way and only a few motorbikes heading up. The heat of the walk was increased by the infared radiation mirrored by the dirt pack roadway and the journey was almost entirely uphill, with some very very steep sections.

We made it to the first 'Abandoned' Lahu huts, and had our lunch here. I was surprised, compared to the previous day, just how slow going it was, but there were many differences in terrain and not ideal to compare.

'Rose having lunch'
We continued on in the height of the heat at 1:30pm, because if we didn't continue we would not make it to the village with enough time to make it back. It wasn't the sort of place you could just make a shelter for the night either. The days were boiling but the nights quite cool and with this time of year being the burning of everything that grows, fire was a huge danger. One that we would eventually be confronted with.
We walked at a snails pace for what seemed like an eternity, no trucks ever came by to offer the ride we so desparately hoped for. We walked up and up and up, dust clinging to our skin and throats, which made us drink our water much more frequently than planned.
After a long period of time I saw the village adhered against a steep mountain background. Huge cracking and popping sounds bounced off the sheer cliff faces to the point I thought the rockbiter from the neverending story was about to come into view. Then I saw the billowing smoke. The locals had started their pyro routine and it was directly where we were heading.
We walked along the ridge with the village in view, and the hot smokey flames licking the sides of the embankment below us. Steadily moving in our direction. Do we run with every ounce of strength we have to get past the flames and see if it is safer around the bend or head back the way we came on the 7 hour pilgrammage without any water?. We walked closer and closer to the inferno, then as we could barely breathe, I decided to head for a safer, clearer spot, to take a moment to think, and breathe the fresher air before it was all sucked up by this hungry blazing beast.
I decided I would scope it out with my face and eyes covered and then signal if it was safe.
I kept low and with all my strength left ran through the scorching air to find it was indeed clear of fire (at least for the time being) to pass.
After continuing onward with the village now in view. I knew if worse came to worse we could at least have a spot to stay and water available if a night stay was inevetable. We walked on, down, down, down a steep section of road all the way to the bottom of a valley way and stopped at a stream just below the village. We cooled off as much as possible before the threatening popping of cooked trees made us continue back up the other side and finally into the village.
The welcoming of the people wasn't warm as all of the other villages, alot of suspecting stares, even when we waved, wai, or smiled, but we kept walking hoping that a small shop existed selling drinks.
I signed to a local man a universal drinking motion and shook his head then he pointed up the road. I was hopeful, but when the road ended at a school, my hope turned to uneasiness. Hopefully I can find something to drink. I just floated towards a few men seated at the school kitchen,in the corner drinking Chang beers. One was the principal/teacher of the school and spoke basic English. I was so thankful when he said, come into the shade sit down, and got us both a drink of water from a new glass bottle. It was so good.
It was here we spent the remainer of the afternoon with the children, taking fotos and talking broken english with the whole group. We gave out the afternoon snacks to the children and posed with them as they seemed to love to take photos and hug us.



The other men seated with the principal were border check guards (who place burmese refugees that make it into the country, into the refugee camps in Thailand). They offered to drive us back to the check point spot which would save us half the walk. But by the end of talking and when it was time to go, they changed their minds and said they would take us all the way back to our guesthouse. We were so lucky. When we arrived at the drop off point, we thanked them with a cool drink, then went on our way.
Hhmmmm nice clean plan, of course, it never works out the way you plan it.
The day started off much the same as the last. Breakfast, packed sandwiches, water jug each. We headed off once again, following the basic map, but this time we were following a road way so it was much harder to lose your bering. We walked along talking of the last day or other things that slipped and out of our minds. As we came to the area the first cave was to be at, we searched high and low for it along the huge rock formations, but couldn't find it and time was ticking so we opted just to continue along the road until someone could pick us up.

Around 3 hours in, I was getting worried that I hadn't seen one truck going our way and only a few motorbikes heading up. The heat of the walk was increased by the infared radiation mirrored by the dirt pack roadway and the journey was almost entirely uphill, with some very very steep sections.

We made it to the first 'Abandoned' Lahu huts, and had our lunch here. I was surprised, compared to the previous day, just how slow going it was, but there were many differences in terrain and not ideal to compare.

'Rose having lunch'
We continued on in the height of the heat at 1:30pm, because if we didn't continue we would not make it to the village with enough time to make it back. It wasn't the sort of place you could just make a shelter for the night either. The days were boiling but the nights quite cool and with this time of year being the burning of everything that grows, fire was a huge danger. One that we would eventually be confronted with.
We walked at a snails pace for what seemed like an eternity, no trucks ever came by to offer the ride we so desparately hoped for. We walked up and up and up, dust clinging to our skin and throats, which made us drink our water much more frequently than planned.
After a long period of time I saw the village adhered against a steep mountain background. Huge cracking and popping sounds bounced off the sheer cliff faces to the point I thought the rockbiter from the neverending story was about to come into view. Then I saw the billowing smoke. The locals had started their pyro routine and it was directly where we were heading.
We walked along the ridge with the village in view, and the hot smokey flames licking the sides of the embankment below us. Steadily moving in our direction. Do we run with every ounce of strength we have to get past the flames and see if it is safer around the bend or head back the way we came on the 7 hour pilgrammage without any water?. We walked closer and closer to the inferno, then as we could barely breathe, I decided to head for a safer, clearer spot, to take a moment to think, and breathe the fresher air before it was all sucked up by this hungry blazing beast.
I decided I would scope it out with my face and eyes covered and then signal if it was safe.
I kept low and with all my strength left ran through the scorching air to find it was indeed clear of fire (at least for the time being) to pass.
After continuing onward with the village now in view. I knew if worse came to worse we could at least have a spot to stay and water available if a night stay was inevetable. We walked on, down, down, down a steep section of road all the way to the bottom of a valley way and stopped at a stream just below the village. We cooled off as much as possible before the threatening popping of cooked trees made us continue back up the other side and finally into the village.
The welcoming of the people wasn't warm as all of the other villages, alot of suspecting stares, even when we waved, wai, or smiled, but we kept walking hoping that a small shop existed selling drinks.
I signed to a local man a universal drinking motion and shook his head then he pointed up the road. I was hopeful, but when the road ended at a school, my hope turned to uneasiness. Hopefully I can find something to drink. I just floated towards a few men seated at the school kitchen,in the corner drinking Chang beers. One was the principal/teacher of the school and spoke basic English. I was so thankful when he said, come into the shade sit down, and got us both a drink of water from a new glass bottle. It was so good.
It was here we spent the remainer of the afternoon with the children, taking fotos and talking broken english with the whole group. We gave out the afternoon snacks to the children and posed with them as they seemed to love to take photos and hug us.



The other men seated with the principal were border check guards (who place burmese refugees that make it into the country, into the refugee camps in Thailand). They offered to drive us back to the check point spot which would save us half the walk. But by the end of talking and when it was time to go, they changed their minds and said they would take us all the way back to our guesthouse. We were so lucky. When we arrived at the drop off point, we thanked them with a cool drink, then went on our way.

3 Comments:
Jenna I love your blog. I feel like I jump right back into Asia again. What great adventures.
Emily
So, the 'Jenna' thing? What's that about?
Look at those strange hills. They almost look man made . . like a gigantic heap of straw.. Any idea how they got to be that shape?
Post a Comment
<< Home