Saturday, February 17, 2007

Distant Temple Tempo

On the 15th, I awoke early to meet Susanna at her guesthouse and also meet up with our moto drivers for the day. After a quick breakfast, we headed out at 7:04 to the first of the three temples that I have been guided to go see. We took the main road for a while then switched to wavy backroads broken up by meagre villages dotted here and there, along the rusty-coloured-sand roads. It was a lot of fun dirtbiking through these miniature villiages. All the children, usually clad in their flip flops and nothing else, came streaking out of their dwellings to run beside us and giggle and wave "Hello","Hello". Their skin is so dark and healthy and their grins are from ear to ear, and tend to let out a shriek of excitement when you wave and say 'hello' back.
The greens here are amazing, as compared to the East where I had come from not 5 days earlier. The colours are exquisite; wheat coloured bush huts up on stilts are surrounded by red orchre coloured dirt and bright-rich green, lush crop-foliage. I had so much fun plowing over mound after mound of uneven track in search of new vistas.
After around 45 minutes of travel, we arrived at the first site I wanted to see, Banteay Srei. This was a small temple honouring the feminine godesses and was thought to have been carved by women, as the formations of the works here are so minute and incredibly detailed, that only the delicate hand and patience of a women, could've created them - so the legend goes. I will continue this post when I get my camera to work on this computer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home