Saturday, February 24, 2007

Outta there

I found out that my taxes are going to be a nightmare as I am doing it by internet, and even though I entered all the information before I left on my trip, I won't be able to properly file til I return home. This is a bummer as it was a big portion of my trip money for "extras". Now having to play it frugile, I decided to head back to Phnom penh, where I could get cheap accomodations and eats. I booked the 7am bus back to Phnom penh for the next morning. Then Katy and I went out for dinner.

The next morning we both hopped on the bus, which was the most comfortable one yet, and after 5 hours, were back in Phnom penh. I decided to stay on the Boeng Kak lake shore as the accomodation here is known for it's low prices. When we arrived via Tuk Tuk, it was a white person's haven. Not typically what I prefer to stay around, as it's very touristy, but it was 4 dollars a night for a two-bed room, share bathroom(nightmare as there was only one bathroom for everyone-12units) but at 2 bucks each I couldn't complain.(sorry for the run on sentence) The Number 9 guesthouse was it's name and it had an open outdoor 'hangout' area downstairs with hammocks, lounge chairs, and on a large tv, you could watch movies from their adequate dvd library. The restaurant area was right out on a deck on the lake, which did have a few mozzies but nothing much. I stayed here two nights then switched guesthouses to one furthur along that had a room with it's own bathroom, as I got tired of holding it in while one or another american chick was having an hour-long shower then grooming for another hour. This next place was called the Floating Island guesthouse. It was quieter and less of a hangout, which I enjoyed emmensely, myself being a recluse. Plus the sunsets over the lake where beautiful from the vantage point and the breeze was wonderous. On my first night in this place I did have an interesting experience. Just as I was falling asleep, I was aware of something just landing with a light thud, on my pillow beside my head, but being half asleep I didn't care to speculate. Until moments later I found out what it was for sure. As I lay on my back, something scurried over my head and shoulder and stopped it's four long, cold little feet on my belly. A big rat had fallen through one of the crevasses in the thatched roof and landed beside me. After being somewhat awakened by my brain finally resistering what had happened, I sat up in the dark and it leaped from my gut onto the bed then onto the ground where I heard it scamper off to god-knows-where. I turned on the light and looked everywhere, but couldn't see it so I went back to sleep. At around 2am I had a deja vou, as something heavy ran along my bedside once again, but this time I was too tired to care and went back to sleep. That was the last I saw of the critter, but I'm sure he'll make a reappearance for someone else.

After some food shopping in the Russian Market, I prepared my gear for my flight the next day back to Bangkok thus finishing my Cambodian adventure. It made me sad to think of it, because I would've loved to have spent more time here and visit a few more places. But I will definitely be back, as this is one of the places I feel at home in.

2 Comments:

Blogger Leslie said...

OMIGOD a rat on your pillow. I think there might be a rat rap song in there somewhere. What are mozzies?

4:18 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you see it? are you sure it was a rat? Do you know what? It was probably just a kitten, a cute little kitten (or a puppy?) that was playing on the roof and it fell. If you had been very still, you probably could have heard it purrring. Mmmmmm, kittens, YAY!

9:36 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home