Sunday, March 11, 2007

A dismal side of tourism in thailand


dismal sides of tourism in thailand
Originally uploaded by Asia Trip2007.

Half way to the haven, we arrived at one of the many popular trekking camps for tourists. I have always wanted an elephant experience and these camps give tourists exactly what they want in that sense, but there is a darker side to this industry that isn't well known, even amoung thais themselves. After learning all I ever wanted to know about the horror that is inflicted upon all working elephants before the training even starts as a young elephant, I was so glad I decided to put my money to better use by supporting a much better cause.

Plus the experiences I had at Elephant Nature Park, were ones that I would've never got in any such trekking camp. I fell in love with the thai elephant here and will do my best to help in it's struggle for survival without pain.

Trekking with Babies:
Elephants are often mistreated horribley in these camps, including allowing them only to eat the 'gifts of food' that the foreign riding tourist will decide to purchase or not. Otherwise they are Mothers are made to work often during and after their pregnancies and the babies must trail along to stay alive. Most tourists see the babies and think "awwwh baby, so cute", but the unfortunate truth is many babies die of fatigue and heat exhaustion along these treks or are severely malnourished because they are not fast enough to walk at the same pace of their overworked mother's.

The park I volunteered at allowed me to see the unfortunate but previlant, black mark on many of Thailand's animal tourism trades. A business that could be switched around so that it benefitted both elephants and humans, as the one I was at. But I fear it will take many more dedicated souls to help out this plight and change the course in which tourism seems to be headed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home