Saturday, April 20, 2019

Blues

BLUESFEST STARTS FOR 2019......

This year is the 30th anniversary of Byron Bay Bluesfest and it will also mark our last attendance.
The cost has unfortunately gotten increasingly higher every year and we almost couldn't afford this years tickets (which we purchased early bird at last years festival for $430 each). Next year they are adding an additional new "parking fee" of $125, which puts it beyond our affordability, as we also need to cover all the costs to drive the 2 days down with accommodation midway, put the animals both in care, pay for accommodation during the festival, fuel, food and the inevitable alcohol David partakes in at the festival (a tiny cup of beer costs $12each). I choose to abstain from drinking due to cost.

The line-up this year, for me, was not quite what they have had in the past (as in new and different acts). I like when they bring in many new acts instead of inviting the same ones again and again. I try to only see ones I've never seen, but sometimes repeats are inevitable when you want to fill in the space between other sets.

The first day we saw Arlo Guthrie, Mavis Staples, Katie Baker, Six60, Kurt Vile
Treated ourselves to a profiterole... which is basically a rounder and more pretentious chocolate eclair lol. My one and only sweet for the festival... I just love their "Shasta trailer" for selling them out of.

2nd day we came later in the day so David had time to spend with his mother and take her to the beach.

Bands we saw included Trevor Hall, Norah Jones, Hozier, Iggy Pop, Flogging Molly.

It pelted rain on and off for the entire day and I was soaked through. Luckily it's Byron Bay and it doesn't get too cold, certainly nothing compared to the 'Vancouver wet' I was used to in my other life.
Yes Iggy Pop is half naked on stage. Apparently that part of his act never gets old.
Very wet and rainy...
Creepy sky and circus-like coffee tent... looked kind of like a spaceship had landed with all the lights and the eerie sky...

Day 3
Today is Ben Harper but that is the very last concert so I may not have the energy to last that long. I have seen him 3 times at previous Bluesfests. He seems to be a regular "big name" they invite again and again. I think he comes for the surfing (like Jack Johnson who is on tomorrow night).

Yothu Yindi is playing today and I shall endeavour to see Lucas Nelson and the promise of the real, Tommy Emmanuel, Flogging Molly, I'm with Her, Kurt Vile and the Violators.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home