Monday, February 12, 2007

cambodia day 3 continued

During my time studying the artwork that was painted during the massacres, A Buddhist monk by the name of Bunsinat came over to talk. We talked about our feelings and the events that took place here and he told me of his father going through the 'questioning sessions'. The uniforms came into his small village north of Phnom Penh and questioned all the people there. They separated them out into groups and interogated each person as to their involvement with making bombs and being guilty of crimes against the Khmer Rouge, (for which most had no idea even who the Khmer Rouge where). Bunsinat's father was accused of making bombs and treated awefully, but through some amazing glitch, escaped the fate of so many others -being sent to Tuol Sleng camp in Phnom penh(or any other detention area). He survived the Khmer Rouge era, where many did not. Of the 8 million people living in Cambodia, 1.8 Million were killed by the Khmer Rouge resistance. And many of the executioners were little more than children (as children are easier to mold into killing machines at a young age, than adults who have morals already set in mind). Some Tuol Sleng guards were as young as 8 yrs old. Bunsinat and I walked through the whole museum together and afterwards he invited me to his Wat, to which I gladly accepted. We headed East from Tuol Sleng for about 6 blocks and walked into a vast gated Wat and school, where school children were just getting out of school. He showed me his temple and residence and offered me a drink of fresh coconut. Unlike Thailand, Monks in Cambodia are allowed to offer women gifts, but a woman must still not touch the monk in the process (I often think this touch rule has less to do with womens unholy touch and more to do with not tempting a male who has sworn a term of celabacy but that's just my opinion) After the drink, Bunsinat had to go to English class, so I thanked him and we traded emails, then I headed out towards the Russian market, but it was closing up (I assumed that it would've been open later than 6 as other markets are, but I guessed wrong). So I turned around and walked in opposite direction navigating the streets of Phnom Penh in the dark.

3 Comments:

Blogger Leslie said...

you already have so many interesting stories to tell

1:20 am  
Blogger gazingoutback said...

Do you actually read these memo's we leave you?? Just checkin..

Is your "great big brain" hurting yet from all the knowledge..flooding in.. and the sites and smells...????

I'm learning vicariously....momxx

10:36 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes I read the comments, I've got nothing better to do...Now I'm off to sip on a coconut in the sun-j

11:22 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home