Saturday, February 02, 2008

Time for the two of us

David suggested that we have one day a week that we spend together, just the two of us. Although I don't really know how long the idea will realistically last, as he's always so busy with everything else that demands his time. Last weekend we started it off by going to Big Crystal Creek up the range. We walked along a no-access service road and saw some amazing butterflies. When we got to the end of the road, we saw a Goanna trying to eat a smaller lizard, which it had by the neck. The Jackie Lizard it had, wasn't much smaller than itself and was pleading for a release. Goanna's are scavengers so I saved the Jackie lizard by grabbing the goanna, but then I had the predicament of holding this huge goanna wriggling in my grasp. I had to be careful how I put it down as to not get bitten or injure the animal....It was amazing feeling the tough, course skin of the reptile contorting in my hands. I put it down and stepped back. It walked slowly away in a dignifyed fashion, nose high in the air and struting past. It tasted the air for any other food, or dangers.
When I first happened upon the scene I did manage to take a photograph of the lizard in the goanna's mouth....otherwise you wouldn't believe it to be true.

1 Comments:

Blogger Leslie said...

See..I am right..you are glowing...you have a creature in your hand

10:57 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home