Made it and exhausted
Wow. After a really hellish month of working, organizing and stuffing all my crap into a storage unit(thank you Jack), cancelling services, getting $$ changed to travellers cheques (thank you Jack, again) storing a return bag of gear with Vera(thanks babe) spending time with an awesome aussie friend and running around in circles hoping everything would work out, I finally made it out here. I am exhausted and I managed not to ball my eyes out until I got into my guesthouse room and had a moment to realise I am all alone here, in this huge busy, polluted city. It actually sort of reminds me of San Jose in Costa Rica. A little unfriendly and harsh, very noisy and everyonen looking to make a buck off your ignorance. But I like it.
I am finally on my own trip. A trip of my design. A trip for me. A trip for my spirit to bask in the glory of aloneness. Even in this city of a bazillion people, I am alone.
I arrived in Bangkok at 11:00pm after barely making my connecting flight in Narita, as we were late because the plane we were to board in Vancouver (coming from Hong Kong) was late by an hour and a half. My connecting flight in Narita was 45 minutes after landing there. So you can do the math and figure that I should've been screwed. Fortunately for me, the plane had a huge tail wind along our journey across the bering sea (thanks larissa) and incredibley, we caught up the whole 45 minutes we needed to catch the air thai flight.
This next flight was bliss. I had 3 whole plush purple seats to myself for the whole 8 hours. The bathrooms had orchid floral arrangements in them as well as purfumes, toothbrushes/toothpaste and cotton face cloths. Every 3 hours we got hot, lemony smelling cotton facecloths delivered to our seats for rejuvination.
When I arrived at the emormas Suwanapoom airport at 11 I was feeling very overwhelmed after having such care lavished on me for 8 hours then, boom your thrust out of the purple nest into the unforgiving flourencence of a foreigner complex (I mean housing foreigners like me). Signs pointing every which way in a language I wish I could comprehend. Touts follow you along suggesting great deals to take you to your hotel for only 1200 or 900 baht. I was so tired I'm surprised that I walked through the swarm with all my gear, looking like such a tourist, one eye half closed, and found my way down to some lower level and outside to the taxi queue where I got a ride for 400 baht (still a lot and I could've haggled but I was too tired to care) for the 30 minute ride into downtown Bangkok. Just so you know 400 baht is about $13.20
I arrived at KT Guesthouse which seems like a little slice of heaven in a sketchy area of town. I rang the gated door and a smiling young man let me in. "You have book?" he asked
When I got to my room I dropped my gear on the ground and collapsed on one of the two twin beds. The guesthouse was a bit more money than I will be normally spending but I figured when I booked it a week ago, I would splurge as I knew I would be exhausted and the worst thing you can experience when you are exhausted is not feeling safe enough to sleep through the night. Boy was I glad that i splurged this place is absolutely heaven.
After a boo hoo and a shower I crashed and didn't get up until 9pm today(I actually slept through the whole day! That's how tired I was!-had lots of weird dreams involving being chased)
When I came downstairs and out of my den I discovered they've got internet here too as well as a swimming pool and movie stars, no no, swimming pool and a nice restaurant.
Tomorrow I will take the subway or a tuk tuk to T khao san road, to hopefully book a flight, talk with some english speaking folk about some spots to eat and go on a tour of Bangkok before, hopefully flying to Phnom penh the next day, and meet up with Emily and Fi.
Peace out all,
I am finally on my own trip. A trip of my design. A trip for me. A trip for my spirit to bask in the glory of aloneness. Even in this city of a bazillion people, I am alone.
I arrived in Bangkok at 11:00pm after barely making my connecting flight in Narita, as we were late because the plane we were to board in Vancouver (coming from Hong Kong) was late by an hour and a half. My connecting flight in Narita was 45 minutes after landing there. So you can do the math and figure that I should've been screwed. Fortunately for me, the plane had a huge tail wind along our journey across the bering sea (thanks larissa) and incredibley, we caught up the whole 45 minutes we needed to catch the air thai flight.
This next flight was bliss. I had 3 whole plush purple seats to myself for the whole 8 hours. The bathrooms had orchid floral arrangements in them as well as purfumes, toothbrushes/toothpaste and cotton face cloths. Every 3 hours we got hot, lemony smelling cotton facecloths delivered to our seats for rejuvination.
When I arrived at the emormas Suwanapoom airport at 11 I was feeling very overwhelmed after having such care lavished on me for 8 hours then, boom your thrust out of the purple nest into the unforgiving flourencence of a foreigner complex (I mean housing foreigners like me). Signs pointing every which way in a language I wish I could comprehend. Touts follow you along suggesting great deals to take you to your hotel for only 1200 or 900 baht. I was so tired I'm surprised that I walked through the swarm with all my gear, looking like such a tourist, one eye half closed, and found my way down to some lower level and outside to the taxi queue where I got a ride for 400 baht (still a lot and I could've haggled but I was too tired to care) for the 30 minute ride into downtown Bangkok. Just so you know 400 baht is about $13.20
I arrived at KT Guesthouse which seems like a little slice of heaven in a sketchy area of town. I rang the gated door and a smiling young man let me in. "You have book?" he asked
When I got to my room I dropped my gear on the ground and collapsed on one of the two twin beds. The guesthouse was a bit more money than I will be normally spending but I figured when I booked it a week ago, I would splurge as I knew I would be exhausted and the worst thing you can experience when you are exhausted is not feeling safe enough to sleep through the night. Boy was I glad that i splurged this place is absolutely heaven.
After a boo hoo and a shower I crashed and didn't get up until 9pm today(I actually slept through the whole day! That's how tired I was!-had lots of weird dreams involving being chased)
When I came downstairs and out of my den I discovered they've got internet here too as well as a swimming pool and movie stars, no no, swimming pool and a nice restaurant.
Tomorrow I will take the subway or a tuk tuk to T khao san road, to hopefully book a flight, talk with some english speaking folk about some spots to eat and go on a tour of Bangkok before, hopefully flying to Phnom penh the next day, and meet up with Emily and Fi.
Peace out all,

1 Comments:
All accomplished, now a rest, then onward to the next adventure.. glad you're able to connect with your buds! L Mom
Post a Comment
<< Home